on Sep 30, 2009



I suppose that most people start these things (blogs) off by introducing themselves and doing the whole getting to know you shabang. So I’m not going to :P

I prefer to keep things a little different and in keeping that in mind I’m going to get headfirst into my blog and hopefully get my old files from my previous blog moved onto here - that should take care of the whole ‘intro’ aspect of things.

Today is officially day 1 of me starting on hypothyroidism pills. I got diagnosed day before yesterday as officially having the disease. Its weird being able to say that... that I have this disease that I will have the rest of my life. This hormone replacement therapy that I am on will most likely be for the rest of my life and there is no curing this. Only managing it. I have had friends and family tell me the usual “it could be worse, this is not that bad, it can be managed”. I definitely realize that things could be worse - but lets face the facts here. Having grown up in a house with a mother who suffered from this exact same disease and then seeing the short term AND long term effects of it hasn’t helped in my view of things.

Knowing that this is never going to be cured and I have to take these pills the rest of my life certainly does no wonders for my sense of security in all this. To top it all off, this pill doesn’t guarantee that I will be okay and things won’t get worse - my thyroid could continue to get much much worse and thus forcing me to get on higher and higher doses of medication. Add to that the fact that along with all the other symptoms - I get to gain weight through no fault of my own.

It sounds vain...

I realize completely how vain I sound. But to go from the girl who could eat anything and never gain a pound - always being the skinniest - to now looking at a lifetime of struggling with my weight and gaining it because my body has essentially given up....... its my worst nightmare come true.

I promised myself I wouldn’t throw myself a pity party and stand strong in my resolution to tackle this head on. I have been running 3 miles every day - forcing myself to eat three meals a day. Trying to get in as many fruits and veggies as I can etc...

My previous blog used to be named along the lines of follow the white rabbit. I was asked why I picked that name and I said "If alice had never had the courage to follow that white rabbit down that hole, she would never have seen all that she had seen".  While this isn't something I am getting to do by choice - I'm actually being shoved down the rabbit hole - it still is going to end up testing me. 


At this point all I can do is keep my nose to the ground and hope that there are more good days than bad days.