on Nov 9, 2010





Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” Elizabeth Stone.

I couldn't agree more.

I think I've cried more times in the last 6+ weeks than I have ever before. Her every little whimper makes my heart just feel like it is getting crushed. It is silly really - she's such a good (alhamdulillah) baby - she only ever whimpers in her sleep or if she's really really hungry or tired.

Its hard to believe its already been a month and a half since she was born. It feels like a lifetime already. We are slowly learning all her little habits and quirks - and reveling in all the little milestones she's hitting already. At six weeks old she's learning to coo and make communicative noises towards us. She's also starting to smile at us and hold her smiles - Lobster swears he heard a giggle already! (I'm totally jealous I missed that).

In Islamic tradition, by the time the child is 40 days, her parents do her aqeeqah. Essentially its like a baby blessing/dedication and a way to introduce the child into the muslim community that she is a part of. It, unfortunately, also means shaving off her little hair on her head :( The point is to remove the hair that grew in the blood in the womb so as to give the baby a fresh start.

I get the reasons... just really don't like the results. My poor baby, all bald and cold headed. Luckily she's related to two parents that were blessed with thick and fast growing hair. I expect by December she'll have her full head of hair back on. InshaAllah.

The aqeeqah went realy well, all our friends were able to make it and Lobster's brother was able to make it. Unfortunately my parents have already left this hemisphere so there was no one familywise from my side able to make it. Admittedly Aasiyah is one lucky little babe - she was surrounded by our friends - her aunts and uncles and was beyond spoiled. I think Lobster and I barely got any face time with her :)

I have to admit - dressing her up is definitely one of my favorite things about having a little girl :)
They are just beyond cute.

Oh... and I'm banned from buying a scale which means I'll be making a lot of trips to bed, bath and beyond and using their scales ;)